Joined: 09 Aug 2010 14:40
Hints, tips and a little help
This is my first attempt to write some kind of help file for FtpCafe, please be patient, in the meantime you can always ask direct questions in the forum.
There are two major basic things to know in using FtpCafe:
1. Use a long press to perform actions on the individual (selected) file
2. Use the option menu to preform actions on individual or multiple (checked) files.
The Login screen is simple enough, on it you choose the profile to connect to or select New to create a new profile
New/Edit Profile screen:
On Profile screen you type FTP server details, such as host, user name and password, type of FTP server, normal or secure.
If you choose to save password, the password will be saved in plain text, but in private FtpCafe application area, not readable by other apps or "the world". If you still worry about security, you should uncheck "Save password" field, then you will be prompted to type password every time you log into a FTP server.
Other options are for type of FTP transfer, it could be binary or ASCII. More options are for setting passive or active FTP communication. Passive is strongly recommended, as you might have issues with firewalls etc. if choosing active.
Main, file listing screen:
The main file listing screen is obviously divided with tabs for local file list and remote FTP server file list.
Tapping a file causes is to be checked for transfer (download or upload), while tapping a directory causes it to open, i.e. current directory is changed. If you want to check directory for transfer, you need to long click it. This will open context menu with "check" menu between other things.
When Back/Forward buttons are enabled this means you can quickly go back to you last file listing without the extra overhead of reloading the list from the network, i.e. clicking buttons show the cached file listings.
Menu option on the main screen include:
- Upload/Download file/directory
- Rename file/directory
- delete file/directory (directories are recursively deleted)
- Create a new directory
- Refresh the file listing
- File Properties - shows detailed file/directory properties with option to change file permissions (chmod).
- Preferences - On the preference page, at the moment there are three option that can be changed:
1. Resume file transfers - Checking this option will resume partially locally downloaded or remotely uploaded files. The dates are not checked here, the smaller file will get appended by the larger file of the same name. If resume is checked and the local and the remote file are of the same size, no transfer will occur.
- Logout - closes the screen and connection to the FTP server
- About dialog.